Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center
Volunteer or Donate
Thank you for inquiring about the needs of our Veterans! Thank you for inquiring about the needs of our Veterans.
Brand new socks, underwear, shirts, and pants. Business casual clothing for interviews. Spring jackets and winter coats. All Sizes.
Also, Women's clothing including sports bras, underwear and undershirts.
New clothing items are needed by Veterans who have little or no income, or for other Veteran-specific needs.
|Gift Cards for Haircuts||For Veterans in need of a haircut, but cannot afford the expense.|
|Hygiene items: shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, shaving cream, body wash (no bar soap), toothbrushes, toothpaste, denture cream denture cleanser. Please no hotel samples.||Hygiene items will be given to inpatient or outpatient Veterans who are in need of the items.|
|Telephone Calling Cards||Phone cards are distributed to Veterans who need to keep in touch with family.|
|Brand new shoes. Please call for needed size and type. "Croc" type shoes are good as they are unisex and can be worn outside.||For Veterans who may need work boots for a new job, or need new shoes in general.|
|Home Goods||Home goods such as new towels, sheets, pots and pans, utensils, and flatware, are provided to Veterans who have recently been housed and were previously homeless.|
|Feminine Hygiene Items||Feminine Hygiene items are given to women Veterans who are unable to afford the supplies.|
|Recreational items such as large-print books, greeting cards, decks of large-print cards, postage stamps, large-print puzzle-books, current issues of magazines, snap-together models, leather crafts, paint-by-number kits, wood crafts, sketch books, notebooks, wordfinds, (without staples or wire binding).||Recreational items help our Veterans enjoy the benefits of recreation while receiving care in the hospital or while living in the Community Living Center.|
|Canteen Books||Canteen books can be purchased in the Veterans Canteen Service in increments of $1.00. These allow Veterans to purchase snacks, recreational or personal items while staying at the VA.|
|Gift Cards to Wal-Mart, Target, grocery stores or gas stations.||Gift cards allow Veterans to purchase needed items such as food, clothing, and gas for transportation to and from medical appointments or work. These are also requested for Veterans using the Allentown and Sayre Outpatient Clinics.|
|Gift Cards to restaurants (Panera Bread, Grotto's Chacko's Family Bowling, Norm's Pizza Longhorn Steakhouse.) Particularly restaurants that will deliver to VA.||Gift cards to restaurants allow our Veterans in the Community Living Center to visit a local establishment for a meal together. Also used to support activities on units in inpatient Medical Center. Can be used for support groups and socialization gatherings for any group of Veterans. Also used for families of hospice patients.|
|Gift Cards to Craft Stores (Michael's, AC Moore)||To be used for Veteran's recreation.|
|Comfort Items: Comforters, neck pillows, sweats (large or xl), sweaters and large blankets.||Items will be given to hospice patients for comfort.|
Please call Voluntary Service prior to bringing your donation to the Medical Center. We want to schedule a time so that we are available to receive your donation and thank you for your generosity in person. It will also give us ample time to plan for the distribution of your donation. Thank you for supporting our Veterans!
The Wilkes-Barre VA is unable to accept the following: VHS Tapes, used clothing, bar soap, wheelchair bags, bootleg DVDs, hotel toiletries, medical equipment or supplies, bibs, lap robes, lap quilts, small blankets, mouthwash.
Monetary donations are also accepted for our Veterans: Please make checks payable to the Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center and mail to: Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center, Voluntary Service Office (01/10), 1111 East End Blvd. Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711.
Please reference the General Post Fund (GPF) number in the memo section of your check. If no GPF is referenced, funds will be deposited into a general use account. Call Voluntary Service for more information about the General Post Fund program. Thank you for supporting our Veterans!
Voluntary Service is currently accepting donations for the following funds:
- General Use Fund - 8080
- Social Services Emergency Fund - 8150
- Northampton Clinic - 8190
- Canteen Books - 8040
- Mental health Intensive Case Management (MHICM) - 8070
- Substance Abuse Residential Rehabilitation Program (SARRTP) 8131
- National Rehab Events - 8220
- OEF/OIF/OND Veterans - 8191
- Home-Based Primary Care - 8525
- Community Living Center - 8110
- Recreation Therapy - 8130
- Women Veterans - 8519
- Allentown Outpatient Clinic - 8010
- Palliative Care Unit/Hospice - 8090
- Scranton Vet Center - 8140
- Sayre Outpatient Clinic - 8160
- Homeless Veterans - 8460
- Williamsport Vet Center - 8513
- Visually Impaired Veterans - 8528
- Caregivers of Veterans - 8532
- Memorabilia Gallery - 8526
To Volunteer, call or visit the VAMC Wilkes-Barre Voluntary Service Office. We will be happy to receive your application or discuss how you can help us in our mission to provide comfort and care to America's Veterans. Currently, we need to fill the following positions:
- Ambassadors – Assist our Veterans with navigating the facility and provide general information to visitors.
- Comfort Cart Volunteers – Visit and provide comfort items for our Veterans who are in the hospital.
- Parking Lot Shuttle Driver – Drive a shuttle in the parking lot to assist our Veterans. Physical, driver’s license and insurance required.
- DAV Transportation Driver – Drive a van to transport patients to their appointments. Physical, driver’s license and insurance required.
- Groups for evenings and weekends – Groups of occasional volunteers are needed to assist with evening and weekend recreation for our Veterans.