Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center
Trauma Recovery Services
Trauma Recovery Services Treatments*
- Screening for Trauma-Related Psychological Treatment
Goals: Assessment of Veteran's symptoms and resources to determine if they may benefit from trauma-related treatments.
Trauma Recovery Classes
Goals: Provide Veterans education about their trauma-related symptoms, followed by introduction to and practice of skills designed to improve functioning, in common areas of difficulty. Veterans may include family members at specified classes.
- Group Psychotherapy - "Post-Deployment Recovery Group"
Goals: Cognitive restructuring of Veteran's maladaptive cognitions and behaviors as they relate to memories of trauma and in their daily functioning.
- Delivered on time-limited basis (weekly appointments for 10-15 weeks)
- Individual Psychotherapy
Goals: Recovery of functioning via establishment of effective coping skills and processing of trauma related memories. Focuses upon assessment and coping skills training to improve symptom management.
- May use Evidence Based Psychotherapies (i.e., Prolonged Exposure-PE, Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing-EMDR and/or Cognitive Processing Therapy - CPT) delivered on time-limited basis (weekly appointments for 10-15 weeks).
For additional information about trauma-related mental health treatment at the WBVAMC and other VA facilities call extension 7654.
* Placement into all above treatments is determined by Trauma Recovery Services Psychology staff.
- Mental Health Clinic
- 570-824-3521 Ext. 27737
- 877-928-2621 Ext. 27737
Hours of Operation
- Mon-Fri 8:00am-4:30pm